Sunday, October 23, 2005

This Afternoon

Stevie Wonder

I just this afternoon got a chance to sit down and try to post something. I’m still working on the article on compression. I recorded a guitar part and posted some files both compressed and uncompressed with overdrive and without to illustrate the sustain that compression can introduce when used correctly. I used the compressor included with Sonar 4 and also the amplifier simulator set to the “Marshall” setting. The files are as follows

  1. Clean Guitar – no compression

  2. Clean Guitar – compression

  3. Overdrive Guitar – no compression

  4. Overdrive Guitar - compression


Let me know what you think as far as if the examples really show the difference between a uncompressed and compressed guitar. I’m going to use the same file for eq, delay and reverb. For chorus, phase, and flanging, I’m probably going to use some strumming. I also intend to use a kick drum for compression and maybe some vocals for some other effects. I will take the whole mix of “Smells Like” to illustrate mastering with compression, limiting, Multiband compression and mastering equalization as well as just eq in general.

We’ll be really kicking it in to high gear to get “Smells Like” recorded by the time of the gig. I hope I can get everything updated as things go along so you’ll be able to see the progression. The compression article should be up on the website tomorrow evening so I guess I’ll post again to update.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home